Want to watch this Tutorial?
Start your FREE 7-day trial for instant access to all CG Cookie training! It takes 2 minutes and you can cancel anytime.Get Started
Stylized Character Turnaround
In this tutorial I am taking you through the process of creating a character turnaround, the front,side and back, based on a concept art piece. Earlier this week I got back into working on a character concept for my illustrated novel and I decided that this would be a great opportunity to show you guys how to create a modeling turnaround sheet based of a single concept. While I was in school, I had to do this many times to help me see the different details and form while I was modeling. So this tutorial covers the stages of how I went about creating a turnaround for each of my character concepts.
Also be sure to check out the follow up tutorial by Jonathan Hamilton when he brings this concept into Blender with his Introduction to Character Modeling Course
Original Time: 1 hour, 10 min
Below are some key frames from the tutorial highlighting the different stages of the turnaround creation!
1. I start out by creating guidelines to help keep his proportions in perspective. I focus on creating the shapes of the stylized character, so for this one, the body and head shape were the focus.
2. After a sketchy initial layout, I work up the clean line work on top
3. For the back view I can copy the front view over and erase the inside of the character and fill it in with the back details.
4. For the side view I bring the front view up close and work with keeping everything lined up with each other.
5. After all around clean up work, here is the final turnaround.