Planning a better rig
Let's get schematic
Before we start adding bones and constraints all over the place for our flexible character rig, I’ll show you the schematic plan of what we are trying to achieve.
Because when you think of the parts of your project in a modular way, rigging becomes a lot less brain-bending.
Learn how to rig your cool Treasure Chest model in Blender
Make your own Treasure Chest or download a ready-made one?
(a) You can create your own treasure chest in Kent Trammell's modeling, texturing and shading course, or...
(b) You can download the chest model from course files.
The choice is yours!
What you'll learn in this rigging and animation course
- how to think in a modular way to create a super flexible rig
- use bones and constraints efficiently to create an intuitive rig
- add a simple UI script to make the rig easy to animate
- how to plan your animation project to avoid problems down the road
- blocking, splining and polishing your animation
- wrapping up: how to add a gem and finalize your project
This is a great course for beginners and more experienced animators. Let's get to it!
Are you a total beginner in Blender animation?
If you're just getting started with animation, you can still follow along with this course.
Fundamentals to Animation is a great, quick course that covers the essentials of what it takes to make things move.
Want more animation training?
We got you covered! Check out the full collection of animation courses here on CG Cookie, including the famous Acting for Animators which takes a deep dive into why characters move in the first place.