Introduction to Character Modeling
Learn how to create character models in Blender
Character modeling is a coveted specialty that takes a lot of patience, a lot of practice, and no small amount of work.
Chapter 1 - Introduction
Watch this course trailer to get excited about character modeling!
Chapter 2 - Modeling Base Shapes
With any modeling task, base shapes must be blocked out to approximate the general form of your model.
Chapter 3 - Sculpting
This chapter covers the artistic workflow of digital sculpting for fine tuning your model's forms and details.
Sculpting with Dyntopo or Multires10min
Sculpting the Head & Face I37min
Sculpting the Head & Face II48min
Sculpting Hands1hrs 4min
Preparing to Sculpt the Sweater11min
Sculpting the Sweater55min
Preparing to Sculpt the Pants6min
Sculpting the Pants49min
Preparing to Sculpt the Boots10min
Sculpting the Boots24min
Preparing to Sculpt the Jacket6min
Sculpting the Jacket54min
Sculpting the Hat41min
Chapter 4 - Retopology & Model Polish
The next stage in the character modeling workflow involves the translation of sculpted forms to animation-freindly meshes and perfecting all pieces of the model.
Chapter 5 - Posing
While a symmetrical, neutral pose is great for the modeling process, it's boring to show off. This chapter covers how to rig and pose your character model for more appealing presentation.
Learn how to create character models in Blender
Character modeling is a coveted specialty that takes a lot of patience, a lot of practice, and no small amount of work. But character modeling is also a lot of fun and very satisfying once you become comfortable with the techniques and workflows needed to bring your designs to life.
I would be lying if I said there was a single workflow for every character. Every model you do will be done in a slightly different way. In fact, nearly every character artist will approach models with their own outlook and workflow. The goal is to development a workflow that allows you, the artist, to create the required design in an effective and efficient manner.
What you’ll learn
Through this course I will be taking you through a variety of techniques and workflows in order to create our pilot character.
– Create base meshes with the skin modifier.
– Sculpt organic forms with dynamic topology.
– Sculpt clothing with the multiresolution modifier.
– Use the many sculpting brushes to control the surfaces.
– Model crisp details with poly modeling techniques.
– Create high-quality mesh topology with retopology methods.
– Quickly rig and pose the character with Rigify.
Lesson Questions and Answers
Ask a question and get an answer!Submit your Question
Will all your Videos have the Closed Captions option for the Hard of Hearing?
Most of our courses have captions and we’re trying to get captions for all videos. If you subscribe and come across one without captions just let us know via firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do what we can to get captions added.
Note, you’ll find that most of the new courses have captions, while the older ones frequently do not. For example, this course has captions: https://cgcookie.com/course/modeling-modular-game-assets/
Just look for the CC icon alongside the play controls.
I want to create realistic looking models not characters or anime. Will this course teach me what I need to know or could you do a new course on creating REALISTIC human models and realistic clothing? Thank You.
This course does not cover specific aspects of creating realistic characters, such as rendering subsurface scattering for realistic skin, but it does teach you all of the same modeling techniques that you’ll use for modeling realistic characters.
where can i find the background images
The background images are included in the Project Files which you can download (as a Pro member) from the Course Files tab below the video.
Which version of Blender does this course use?
Blender 2.67 is used, but most everything is still identical in 2.78, with only a few small (inconsequential) exceptions.
Hey Jonathan, I’ve been practicing Blender a lot as of late and am ready to get into character modeling now. Are there any prereqs for this course??
Download any course files here.
- Modeling Sheets: HD Video( 25.9 MB )
- Skin Modifier Base: HD Video( 177.3 MB )
- Separating Pieces: HD Video( 93.4 MB )
- Shaping Pieces: HD Video( 227.1 MB )
- Hat Base: HD Video( 110.5 MB )
- Sculpting with Dyntopo or Multires: HD Video( 26.2 MB )
- Sculpting the Head & Face I: HD Video( 284.1 MB )
- Sculpting the Head & Face II: HD Video( 302.3 MB )
- Sculpting Hands: HD Video( 403.2 MB )
- Preparing to Sculpt the Sweater: HD Video( 57.5 MB )
- Sculpting the Sweater: HD Video( 304.5 MB )
- Preparing to Sculpt the Pants: HD Video( 44 MB )
- Sculpting the Pants: HD Video( 291.4 MB )
- Preparing to Sculpt the Boots: HD Video( 56.2 MB )
- Sculpting the Boots: HD Video( 118 MB )
- Preparing to Sculpt the Jacket: HD Video( 29.2 MB )
- Sculpting the Jacket: HD Video( 312.3 MB )
- Sculpting the Hat: HD Video( 204.9 MB )
- Simulating the Scarf: HD Video( 212.1 MB )
- Modeling Hair: HD Video( 62.3 MB )
- Retopologizing the Face: HD Video( 272.4 MB )
- Retopologizing the Head: HD Video( 206.9 MB )
- Retopologizing the Ear: HD Video( 179.1 MB )
- Polishing the Face: HD Video( 209.3 MB )
- Retopologizing the Hands: HD Video( 510.6 MB )
- Modeling Gloves: HD Video( 71 MB )
- Modeling Goggles: HD Video( 151.8 MB )
Check out submission from others.Submit your Image