Creating a 2D Space Shooter
Learn how you can create your own space shooter game using Unity’s 2d toolset.
Welcome to the course. Check out the the trailer to get pumped to create games!
Chapter 1 - Getting set up
These videos will help you set up your project and assets to get started in this course.
Chapter 2 - The guts of your game
With the introduction of Unity 4.3 an entirely dedicated 2D toolset has been added. Prior to this version, 2D development within Unity was very cumbersome and relied on 3D features that were unnecessary and sometime inefficient for 2D development. But with the addition of the 2D toolset, Unity has removed all those issues of developing 2D projects within Unity.
This course is designed to take you from start to finish of production of a 2D space shooter. Some scripting knowledge is required and it is highly recommended you take the Intro to Unity Flow
Interested in coding in general? Great place to get started is http://www.codecademy.com
Topics covered include
- Project Set up
- The new sprite texture format
- The sprite sheet editor
- Sprite Animations
- 2D physics with new 2D rigid-bodies
- 2D colliders
- Sorting Layers
- User Interface
- Music and SFX
- All scripting needed to create the game
Once completed, you will have a basic understanding of the new 2D toolset and be able to create your own 2D style game.
- Art/SFX – CC0, http://opengameart.org/content/space-shooter-redux
- Music – CC0, http://www.freesound.org/people/jaava73/sounds/45347
Huge thanks to http://www.kenney.nl for producing a fantastic assets to start with!
Lesson Questions and Answers
Ask a question and get an answer!Submit your Question
Everybody is waiting for an FTL clone tutorial. Most tutorials are FPS, TD, and Platformer. The same tutorials everywhere. Any chance you will make one in the future. You’d be the first and being the first to release something can make you rich. Wink, wink.
Download any course files here.
- Setting up the Project: HD Video( 17 MB )
- Sprite Slicing: HD Video( 29.5 MB )
- Sprite Prefabs: HD Video( 20.9 MB )
- Setting up Sprite Animations: HD Video( 41.8 MB )
- Setting up the Spaceship: HD Video( 80.5 MB )
Check out submission from others.Submit your Image