Utility Node Groups
These utility node groups are commonly used in CG Cookie video training material, especially material/shader building content. They serve as neatly packaged versions of their underlying complex shader networks & formulas.
CGC_Fresnel: This group is based on Kent's preferred fresnel implementation, for controlling reflection falloff.
- Blend = Layer weight's ramp bias; Adjusts the contrast of the falloff
- Factor A = First type of falloff suggested for use as a mix factor for Glossy contribution.
- Factor B = Second type of falloff suggested for use as Glossy roughness value.
CGC_Absorption: Based on Agustin Benavidez's implementation, serving to calculate varying geometric thickness. It's useful for controlling a light absorption effect. Functions with Translucent and Transparent BSDFs.
- Scale = Contrast between thick and thin areas of the geometry. Higher values will result in darker thick areas and lighter thin areas.
CGC_Fake-Caustics: A wonderfully useful trick for faking caustic effects without having to wait for the expensive render times of true caustics, based on Bassam Kurdali's implementation.
- Shader = Incoming shader which will have its caustics and shadows overridden.
- Intensity = Brightness of caustic pattern.
- Ramp Type = Shifts the caustic pattern.
Intended use is to append these Node Groups out of their Blender scene file and into your Blender scene. So from your scene, go to:
- File > Append and locate the utility-node-groups_vXX.blend.
- Upon clicking that, you will be guided into the .blend file. Double click the NodeTree folder and select which node group(s) you want to append.
- Once appended, they will be available for adding into your shader network in the Add menu (SHIFT + A) > Group category.