Your Favorite Learning Resources
Outside of CGCookie, that is. As great of a resource this is, I've found some subjects lacking in a deeper explanation or understanding of a particular subject. Some of my favorite resources I recommend to others are:
- drawabox.com - A very good resource to help anyone build up their fundamentals from a very practical and goal-orientated approach. You start by fine-tuning your motor control with small daily exercises, then build into simple shapes, and then complex objects. Take it slow; it's all about gradual improvement.
- Figure Drawing for All It's Worth by Andrew Loomis - An excellent resource for anyone looking to improve their character portraits. The art style is older, but the art instruction is sill relevant.
- Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter by James Gurney - An excellent resource to develop your understanding of how light interacts with color. It's concise but packed with great information. It's grounded in traditional art, but the theories behind it are applicable to anything.
- Perspective Made Easy by Ernest R. Norling - This functions more of a quick guide, but it still has some great tips and tricks when working with perspective. Very clear and concise.
- Successful Drawing by Andrew Loomis - I got this for Christmas, so I haven't dived deep into it yet, but if it's anything like his other book, it's going to be very good. This is more of an introductory book after scanning the first couple of pages.
And a resource for game development, if that's your thing:
- The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses by Jesse Schell - The holy text of game design. Taking you through every possible aspect of game design from brainstorming to UI design to understanding why your game is interesting or not, it's the required book for game designers for a reason. Yes, you are a game designer, too.
I'm more art-bent, but I'm interested in things related to what I do, like programming to help supplement my understanding of node programming. So, what are your favorite resources outside of CGCookie?