Custom Third Person character - minimalist?
I've read a lot, tried a lot of things. It always seems to end up messy and somewhat confusing.
I finally tried something very simple, and it seemed to work well for me.
- Create new temporary empty project.
- Import Standard Assets : Character.
- Close the temporary project.
- Create new real empty project.
- Import my character (FBX). Select Humanoid rig.
- Copy "Animation" and "Animator" folders from Standard Assets : Third Person into my project using File Explorer.
- Assign ThirdPersonAnimatorController to my character.
- Add a simple script to character to accept user input and drive the Animator parameters.
The result is a small number of files which I understand, and are easy to locate. Everything works as expected.
I suppose I could take advantage of more items from Standard Assets, maybe one by one? Importing "everything" seems to create a jungle, compiler warnings, dependency issues ...