Mirrored linked objects flip in Edit mode vs Object mode
Confusing title, I know... I apologize in advance, as a Blender noob I may not have the right terminology but I have been following the Modeling, Texturing and Shading a Treasure Chest in Blender 2.8 course and I'm stuck on the Modeling Wood Details part, specifically where it comes to sharing object data with the wooden planks and applying the duplicate modifier to the linked objects.
I follow these steps in Object mode:
- I remove the backside planks
- select all 4 of the front planks
- ctrl+l and link object data.
- I then select the top plank, and add a mirror modifier on the Y axis and it properly mirrors to the back side of the chest after I use the 'dropper' to choose the rim.
- I then hit ctrl+l to link the modifiers, and all planks appear on the backside (screenshot 1)
- I select the bottom plank (screenshot 2)
- I hit tab to enter Edit mode
As you can see, for some reason while in Edit mode, the other 3 mirrored planks appear on the wrong side of the chest, but they appear in the correct place while in object mode. This is disconcerting (to say the least) as I am afraid to progress further suspecting I have done something horribly wrong.
I've tried restarting Blender several times (as well as restarted my machine, in case anything got whacky).
I've also tried unlinking all the planks and starting fresh, but to no avail. This phenomena only occurs after the mirror modifier has been applied.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks for your patience!
Screenshot 3 (weird nonsense)