Prepping a Model for Texture Painting
Texture Painting Preparation Checklist:
- Apply modifiers that affect the UV layout.
- Convert non-mesh objects to meshes if you want to include them in your unwrap.
- Combine your asset into one object if practical.
- Name your objects and organize the Outliner.
- Assign materials based on what parts of the asset can share the same set of textures.
- Make sure you finish any rigging before unwrapping.
- UV unwrap and use a default checker texture to make sure there is no stretching.
- Pack your UV islands with at least [texture resolution / 128] pixels of padding.