A ball becomes a character
This exercise is designed to be an application of the information learned in Chapter 4 of the Animation Bootcamp course.
The assignment is to breath life into a ball through animation. More than mere physical behavior, you’re to give the ball a will; a mind. Animate the ball approaching the platform, move across it in a series of jumps, peer over the edge, and finally decide to jump off to land on the ground.
- Download the Character Ball: Source Files from the Downloads tab and open the unzipped .blend file with Blender.
- Animate the ball as a character traversing the platform like it has a will, is capable of analyzing its surroundings, and makes decisions – Like you see in the example above. Have fun with this. At least mimic what you see in the example. But also consider making your ball character do a unique action that still gives the illusion of life.
- Render your animation as an openGL viewport render.
- Upload your video to YouTube or Vimeo.
- Finally, submit your exercise by clicking the Submit Exercise button in the top-right corner of this page and pasting your video’s URL.
Exercise Questions and Answers
Ask a question and get an answer!Submit your Question
So I’ve been working on this exercise, and I’ve noticed that the squash and stretch controls on the rig aren’t independent of the rotation of the ball specifically for this exercise. Is there a way to fix this?
The S&S controls move and spin with the body.
The spin control will spin the geometry around the stretch direction.
You should be able to achieve what you want to do, but sometimes you have to think outside the box on how to get there.