Want to try this Exercise?
Start your FREE 7-day trial for instant access to all CG Cookie training! It takes 2 minutes and you can cancel anytime.Get Started
Animate a Stick Figure Jumping with Grease Pencil
Rules of the Exercise
1Stick figure character is legible and the jump animation is recognizable as a jump.
2The "straight ahead" approach is used for the animation.
3Exercise is accomplished with 2D Grease Pencil (No 3D)
4Video loops your jump animation 3 times.
The purpose of this exercise is to explore Blender 2.8's exciting new Grease Pencil features in the context of 2D animation. Specifically this exercise revolves around a simple run and jump action using a straight-ahead approach using something everyone can draw: A stick figure.
NOTE: Blender 2.8 is in active development and changes are frequently made to hotkeys and menu placements.
- Download and install a fresh copy of Blender 2.8
- Follow Wayne's demonstration in the accompanying tutorial to accomplish a stick figure jump animation.
- Render your animation as a viewport render mp4 video file.
- Loop your video file 3 times and export as a new *final* video file. See this tutorial for instruction about looping your animation clip with Blender's video sequence editor.
- Upload your looped video to YouTube or Vimeo.
- Finally, submit your exercise by clicking the Submit Exercise button in the top-right corner of this page and pasting your video's URL.