Sculpting Fabric in Clay
Learn how to sculpt various realistic fabrics so you can “dress” your figurines in clay garments. We’ll be looking at fabrics like silk, cotton, flannel, and felt.
Watch this brief video to see what this course covers!
Different Types of Fabric
Learn to analyze and sculpt the unique characteristics of various kinds of fabric.
See several approaches to sculpting thin fabric through the context of flags in the wind.
Apply what you've learned by participating in this exercise.
Discover the Shape of Fabric
Fabric is a fun challenge for the traditional sculptor. Distinct characteristics like wrinkles and folds are easy enough to shape, but to refine them appropriately to represent different kinds of fabric takes practice.
What You’ll Learn
In this course I will guide you through my workflow for sculpting 4 kinds of fabric in the same context of being draped over a ball. Then I will show you several methods for sculpting fabric in the context of a free-flowing flag. Along the way you’ll learn how to:
- Observe fabric characteristics through slow-motion video.
- Sculpt wrinkles and maintain sharp details with tools.
- Fabric via clay over wiremesh.
- Fabric via clay over wiremesh (dipping method).
- Fabric via plain castilene (sheet method)
- Castilene over fabric (dipping method)
Lesson Questions and Answers
Ask a question and get an answer!Submit your Question
Oops, no questions found yet!
Download any course files here.
- Silk: HD Video( 125.1 MB )
- Cotton: HD Video( 70 MB )
- Flannel: HD Video( 71 MB )
- Felt: HD Video( 106.4 MB )
Check out submission from others.Submit your Image
Oh snap! No one has submitted their course results yet.
Sharing your work is a great way to grow as an artist. Why don't you take the lead and share your results for this course?