Hello Everyone and Welcome to the Drawing a Sci Fi Character Series Part 3.
In this third part, Tim Von Rueden takes you through adding color, shading, and textures.
My FAVORITE step in creating concept art is the process of laying down the colors and adding shading to it! So for this one, I decided to pick the one that I saw the most potential for myself to really explore different bold splashes of color to express emotion. So, naturally, the first one, the Rugged Manual Laborer, was my choice. I am a greater fan of the older looking sci-fi suits and I felt this one already had a story behind the image so adding color would just enhance the picture as a whole!
This is part 3 and I know I would like a part 4 to cover creating an environment for him to sit in and I might have a part 5 for bringing it all together and finishing it.
Below are some video stills from the different stages of this tutorial!
1. Getting a solid darker hued color base to work on top of
2. Laying on color on top to create values and an out of frame light source for placement of the lighter and darker colors.
3. Adding in extra details and other built in light sources that has to be carried and bounce accordingly around the character.
4. Grabbing appropriate textures to place on top in different blend modes.
5. The final outcome of part 3!