Concept Cookie’s first contest in underway.
There has been this concept piece of Kara, the character form the 2010 Blender Tutorial series done a couple years ago just sitting in a folder, all by it’s lonesome. The original piece is by David Revoy, but it was left in it’s lineart. Here at CG Cookie, the Crew had the idea that I could make a timelapse of bringing the piece to life with color.
While I was first deciding what color palette I wanted to use, it was tough because of how many possibilities there could be, and I was struggling to narrow it down. Then we even took the idea a step further when we thought of how many different iterations there could be just from this one piece if we put it out to the community. Then it clicked, now that Concept Cookie is live and still in it’s beginning stages, what better than to roll out a full contest for everyone to start getting involved with.
WATCH THE TIMELAPSE OF VONN COLORING KARA for some ideas on how you might go about it.
What does this have to do with CONCEPTion?
Lighting could be the most important part in the actual quality of the piece, so even if you have an awesome conception in your head, unless you present it well, it will come up short of that awesomeness.
It is easy to forget sometimes how much lighting and color can make a different in a piece. Focusing on a specific section in concept art helps you grow in that specific area.
Hence, if you improve your lighting and coloring techniques, your conception will reflect that.
WHAT ARE THE CONTEST RULES
DUE: NOVEMBER 29, 2011
The due date will be at 6pm on November 29 th
The winners will be announced the afternoon of December 2nd
- Do not add any lineart or create a whole piece that is unrelated. As awesome as it will be to see what could come about this piece, this is a contest based around coloring and lighting techniques, not so much conception.
- Do not edit the lineart, work with what you are given
- A background is not necessary but if you would like to add one, go for it. Again the focus is on the character and will be judged on that alone.
- Edit the size or resolution of the piece.
- that being said, have fun with it. Go wild with your palette and bring the piece together as a whole.
- Use whatever brushes, filters and layer modes you like.
- Save them out as a .jpeg when posting
- use whatever software you would like
How to submit entry
You may submit more than one piece for submission.
*Submit your final piece through the gallery on the concept cookie page, I will then go ahead on post those on the facebook page for the user judging
- Keep the size and image resolution the same as it is given.
- Once complete, name the file Kara_”your name here”.jpg
- example Kara_Timvonrueden.jpeg
Judging will take place at the end of the month and will be determined by the following three criteria:
- Did the submission follow all the rules set in place?
- the overall quality, focusing on their lighting technique and color choices
- creativity, that’s almost a give-in right?
Cookie Community Favorite – On our Facebook page, each image will be submitted and the image with the most “likes” will win the
Once again, the due date will be at 6pm on Novemeber 29th, The winners will be announced on December 2nd
Along with each of the four prizes, your image will be given the corresponding CG flag and featured in the gallery.
1st Place – the Coveted Golden Cookie Award
- One Year Citizen Membership at CGCookie
- A fully rendered art piece done by your guidelines and specifics, by myself, Tim Von Rueden. This could be a character, environment, creature, turnarounds, anything you would like. This is limited to one subject matter, no 20 characters fitting into one piece. Nothing inappropriate, you know what I mean.
http://tvonn9.deviantart.com/gallery/ here is my gallery for some credentials.
- 3 months of Citizen
- 1 month of Citizen
The Community’s Cookie Choice Award – The one who received the most “likes”
Click HERE to check out the gallery and vote!
- Bragging rights of your popularity
- 3 Months of Citizen
What About the Loot?
This contest we are offering some of our Citizen Memberships up for grabs.
One year Citizen Membership at Cg Cookie
With your membership you gain access to periodic exclusive training from Blender Cookie, access to our source files which includes HD versions of the tutorials and .blend files when available. We are always adding new tutorials, so the membership is constantly gaining value from week to week. Members already have access to this list of exclusive training: Baker Series, M4, Female Head, Mechanic , Foliage and more to come… Learn more about it here.