Blender 2.63 Released! Includes BMesh and many Cycles improvements.
As of today, Blender 2.63 is now released and available to everyone! This is a monumental release that includes an enormous number of improvements, fixes and additions. Among other things, the mesh modeling system has been completely revamped, there are many improvements and additions to the Cycles render engine and there are over 150 bug fixes!
A big thanks goes out to all the developers and contributors that help to make Blender possible. Blender wouldn’t be here without them!
This is the long-awaited modeling system overhaul that has been in development for many years. Bmesh brings a much less destructive, streamlined modeling workflow that will let you model faster than ever before in Blender. Along with a better modeling surface under the surface; Bmesh also brings about many new modeling tools:
- Full NGon support for faces with more than four vertices
- Bevel tool for creating rounded corners
- Inset tool for easy detailing
- Bridge tool for connecting two edgeloops
- Dissolve for removing geometry without altering the surface
- Knife topology tool for easily cutting in new geometry
- Vertex Connect tool for connecting vertices with edges without needing to remove the faces first
Blender 2.63 brings along many improvements to the Cycles render engine that help to make it a true, production-ready render engine. Cycles continues to get better and better and is maturing at an alarming rate. This release includes:
- Ambient occlusion support and render layer pass
- Shadow pass for render layers
- Integrator clamp option for noise and firefly reduction
Various features and improvements
- Modifiers: Strength slider for the Lattice modifier, coded by our very own Patrick Boelens!
- Sculpting: mesh hiding support, allowing you to hide/unhide parts of your mesh while sculpting
- Sculpting: Clay strips brush for easy surface sketching
- Compositing: detach operator to disconnect a node from all others while maintaining original links. Use with ALT + D
- Compositing: improved File Output node with multiple input/output support
- Interface: various improvements, including icons for Vertex/Face normals display and a menu for delete in the toolbar